February 16, 2012

Etched Drinking Glasses

Follow Me on Pinterest

Aaahhh, a house divided....  My husband was born in Pittsburgh and is a die-hard Steelers fan.  I was born in Indianapolis and am a die-hard Colts fan (despite our rough season this past year... ouch).

After seeing some glass etching ideas on Pinterest (like this one from makeit-loveit.com), I decided to make some drinking glasses to represent our rivalry.



This etching cream came from Michaels - I think it's about $30, but I shopped with a 50% off coupon and got it for about $15.  The jar is pretty large and I've already done quite a few projects and the jar is still practically full.  Definitely worth the money!

 I found two of these drinking glasses at Goodwill for $1 each.

I printed out this Steelers Logo onto adhesive vinyl using my Silhouette Cameo.  I removed the center pieces of the logo, leaving the negative image.  Since I'm cheap resourceful, I use contact paper to transfer the image to the glass (see picture above).

Peel off the backing of the vinyl sheet.


Position the vinyl cut out onto your glass, then remove the contact paper.

Make sure to push down the vinyl onto the glass so there are no air bubbles near the edges of the cut-out, otherwise the etching cream could seep under the vinyl.  

Cover the glass with the etching cream.  A thick layer is best - and try to keep it nice and even, otherwise the result will not be as even.


A thick layer is good, but be careful - as mine was laying on it's side, it started to drip a little!  Luckily I had put a strip of tape next to the edge of the vinyl, so it didn't ruin my glass.  The etching cream starts to work almost immediately, so watch for drips!

After about 15 minutes, it's time to wash off the etching cream.  Once you remove the vinyl from the glass, you can sit back and admire your work!

Here is the final Steelers cup.  I gave it to my husband and he loved it!

I've made several other items using this etching cream, I'll post those another day.  This is a great idea for Christmas or wedding gifts.  It's easy to do and it's pretty inexpensive!

Good luck, be safe with the etching cream (it's really bad if you get it on your skin), and happy creating, friends!
  Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment