February 2, 2012

Desk Repurpose

So, as I started all my crafting and creating, I quickly realized I needed a work and storage space.  I had been using our dining room table, which my husband was not too thrilled with come dinner time!  And I was storing my supplies in the spare bedroom, which was a problem when we had guests over Christmas!

So I started the hunt for a desk and chair at our local thrift stores.  I finally found this desk and chair at Goodwill.

Our local Goodwill stores offer 20% off a $20 purchase every Friday (through their Facebook page) PLUS 10% off a $20 purchase every day if you carry one of their "rewards" cards.  Apparently you can use both of those discounts on Fridays, making this desk and chair just under $25!

This was my first time spray painting furniture, and I sure did learn a lot.... mostly what NOT to do!  I used a bonding primer, but brushed it on, leaving brush marks.  I sprayed the colors on a little too thick leaving some drips and I sprayed on layers before the previous layer was dry, making the finish a little splotchy.  I also didn't put any kind of finish on it, so it's already starting to scratch and chip a little bit :(

I'm planning on stenciling a pattern on the top (one of these days....).  But I can say I learned a LOT about painting furniture!  I repurposed a book case that I now use as a china cabinet - which I'll show another day - and it turned out a million times better!  More on that to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment